#TreatYourself Uni exams are coming up, which means it’s time to stock up the pantry and study! Our latest blog runs through some of our favourite snacks to help beat the studying-blues, and keep you focused and fed.
As a Uni student, you no doubt have scraped together your 10 cent coins from the car to purchase a packet of 2-minute noodles on more than one occasion (as you obviously spent all your money on more important things, like beer). And while we never met a noodle we wouldn’t eat, at exam time you need as many veggies as you can to fuel your brain. This easy recipe from Deakin Uni is not only delicious, but also nutritious:
15-minute noodles with ginger and vegetables
1 packet of 2 minute noodles
1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
1 thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1tbsp sunflower oil
100g sugar snap peas
handful of beansprouts
2tbsp soy sauce
1tsp white vinegar
1) Cook the noodles according to pack instructions and drain.
2) Chop chilli, ginger, garlic and carrot and set aside.
3) Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan, then stir-fry the ginger, garlic, carrot and sugar snap peas over a high heat for two to three minutes.
4) Add noodles to the pan with the bean sprouts, then stir-fry for two minutes.
5) Mix together the soy sauce and vinegar, stir into the pan, then cook for one or two minutes.
6) Sprinkle the red chilli over the top to serve.
7) Divide between individual plates or bowls and serve immediately.
Another exam time essential is canned coffee, and nobody does canned coffee better than Asia! It was in fact a Japanese innovation, with a Japanese company well known for pioneering canned coffee with milk in 1969. Regardless of its origins, it’s perfect for all those late-night study sessions when you need a convenient buzz as you cram for Bioethics. Try Suntory Boss Black Coffee Espresso Drip when you really need an extra kick.
And when you just need something to nibble on, make sure you’re reaching for something with nutrients that will help improve your memory and overall health. Our pick? Tao Kae Noi Seaweed snacks! Seaweed is also an excellent source of folic acid, which is a key nutrient for brain health. Folic acid has been shown to improve verbal and memory performance. It is also needed to make serotonin, which affects mood in a positive way. And with flavours like Hot & Spicy and Wasabi, they’ll keep you satisfied.
Exams might be hard, but eating good food isn’t! You can shop our range of snacks and speciality Asian ingredients in-store.