Summer is finally upon us, and that means it’s the perfect time of year to celebrate the warm weather and festive season with our friends and family; but what would a gathering be without delicious food?!
Forget your vanilla ice cream and sugary sodas; here at Tang we have to share with you two summer favourites guaranteed to delight the tastebuds! All the ingredients mentioned are available from our Melbourne CBD store located on Russell Street, just a minute away from China Town! Come in today and let our friendly staff help you find everything you need.
Fruity Bubble Tea
Staying hydrated is essential during the summer months, so why not cool down with a traditional South East Asian beverage when you’re by the pool or entertaining guests? We can guarantee they’ll be a hit!
At Tang we love Bubble Tea, an uber popular Taiwanese milk tea drink traditionally infused with syrup, fruits and tapioca pearls to create various delicious flavours. Aside from being delicious and a much healthier alternative to sodas, it’s super easy to make! Here’s what you’ll need (makes ONE serving):
- 2 cups of Fresh fruit of choice (we recommend Strawberry or Lychee )
- 2 cups Soy or Almond Milk
- 1 tsp Honey
- Jelly or Tapioca ‘Boba’ pearls to taste
- 2 cups of Ice
- Put ice, fruit and milk into a blender and blend until smooth
- In a tall glass or cup, add tapioca pearls or jelly to taste
- Add Honey
- Add blended mixture
- Stir/shake well and serve immediately.
Refreshing Watermelon Salad:
Salads are always a hit when it comes to feeding a crowd over the festive season. They’re fresh, healthy and super tasty; plus many can be prepared in a matter of minutes.
This traditional Thai Watermelon salad recipe is super simple and combines perfect balance of sweet and savoury. Here’s what you’ll need:
- ½ a seedless Watermelon cut into cubes or chunks
- ½ Garlic clove
- 2 de-seeded and sliced red chillies
- ½ cup of Fish sauce
- 1 lime
- Peanuts (to taste)
- Thai Basil leaves (shredded)
- Mint leaves (shredded)
- Using a mortar and pestle, ground garlic, chilli’s, lime juice and fish sauce until combined
- Add mix to Watermelon chunks in a large bowl and toss together thoroughly
- Sprinkle herbs and peanuts
- Serve immediately
Now you have a few easy summer Asian-inspired recipes to enjoy over the festive season! For more cooking ideas and all your ingredients, be sure to visit us at Tang Food Emporium: 185 Russell St, Melbourne VIC 3000.